May 27, 2007

Pinning the Caplang

No need to wrinkle your eyebrow. It means pulling back stick-out ears (caplang) as what Rafee has. Its medical term is Otoplasty. This is a new issue on him. Well, I just wanna share this and if you wish you can post some comments.
So, last week, I took him to a nearby clinic, just for walk-in visit as it was urgent thing to check his ears. It's a been a week, I notice he kept rubbing his right ear and that night he was so fussy when he slept. I was worried that he may get ear infection. So the doctor checked him. This is my first time to see this doctor. He looks like an experienced doctor. He said that I need not to worry. Rafee is OK. I asked why he keeps rubbing his ear. He answered, possibly he is teething as some babies like to rub ears when teething. OK, I didn't know as he normally bites my nipple when teething. No wonder I didn't know. Then, we had the conversation -


Doc = By the way, your son got stick out ears. You are aware of it, aren't you?
Me = Yes, you have a concern on it, doc?
Doc = Well, I just wanna let you know that if you wanna pin his ears, it's covered by the govt.
Me = What?? pinning?? what's wrong with them?
Doc = well it's a minor surgery to pull back the ears, will not harm the hearing ability. You don't want you son being teased right when he is at school. Children are cruel in there. They love to tease on weird thing on other kids.

In seconds, I was totally shocked hearing what he said. Immediately, I realized too, what he said may be right too. Then I bombed him with questions. Like, is this case common here, how they fix it, when the best time to fix it, what happened if it's not fixed, what the psychological concerns, is it common case here and so on.

I went home with question marks on my head. It's a dilemma. I wanna keep it as is, it's God's a gift. On the other hand I don't want my son get sad because his friends tease him. Overall, it may affect to his personality, his health and also motivation to go to school, and other problems that may come up. If I ignore doctor's advise I may regret later on when the kids really tease him. In the meantime, I try to get second opinions for Rafee's ear. I guess, the best thing is to do as early as possible, so the surgery will not hurt him too much. So what do
you say??

No comments: